Optical Design Engineer for Augmented Reality Display
Location: Rennes, France
You will be responsible for the design of optical display systems for the next generation of augmented reality smart glasses based on geometric waveguides. You will interface with customers, suppliers and the rest of the Optinvent team in order to translate specifications into a real product. You will have state of the art simulation tools and measuring equipment at your disposal to find the best technical solutions. You will generate reports on simulation results, tolerancing data, generate component specifications and contribute to the design for manufacturing of the optical and mechanical components. You will bring new and innovative ideas to improve the technology roadmap and contribute to the patent filing process. You will travel to customers, suppliers, and participate in scientific and technical conferences and trade-shows when necessary.
Your knowledge of optical system design will allow you to become one of the world’s leading experts on the augmented and mixed reality displays.
- Definition and design of complex optical systems for imagery and illumination
- Drafting of technical specifications based on customer input, definition of key performance criteria
- Interfacing with customers to optimize specific optical systems and performance analysis taking into account their requirements
- Development of algorithmic tools for performance comparison, for optimization and tolerancing dedicated to geometric waveguide based optical systems
- Support for the prototyping and fabrication of optical components: drafting of specifications, interfacing with manufacturing partners, integration, and performance measurement
- Design for manufacturing of high-volume optical components
- The position reports to the CTO of the company
Profile and Experience :
- Recent graduates and candidates with 1-5 years experience in R&D & successful industrial product development will be considered.
- Strong experience in optical simulation software (Zemax, Code V, LightTools, etc.) and Python for design, tolerancing and optimization.
- Sequential and non-sequential ray tracing
- Experience with microdisplays and near to eye display is appreciated.
- Experience in molded optical plastic optical components is a plus.
- English proficiency is necessary.
Salary: To be discussed based on experience.
Availability: The position is available immediately.